Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Project This!

If I had to describe the speed of time within the past three months, I would say FAST.
That being said, I only have limited time in my personal studio space as a senior art major, so I have to make the BEST of it and move full speed ahead.

Photobucket

Back in December I had created my "projection dress". The name says it all. It is a dress in which moving images are projected onto it. The piece is a blank canvas and can take on any print,color,image,and more, making the surface endlessly polymorphic.

Photobucket

My idea is derived from the fusion of fashion and technology in a less gimmicky way. The shape of the dress is very clean and inspired by many space age 60's mod designs. I wanted to create a dress that was not only interesting in shape, but wearable + easily changeable based on what is projected onto it. The idea is that you can take a shape, the dress, and turn it into something whimsical (perhaps by projecting a hip floral pattern) then within seconds create something more high fashion by changing the image(s) projected onto the outfit.

Photobucket

The dress is also more than just a blank canvas. It's also a projection screen for moving images. Three examples I created that vary in movement, color, and projected textures were static noise from television (medium paced movement), the opening credits of the film Psycho, which has strong linear design elements (fast paced movement), and finally color bars on a television (no movement). The dress is not only interactive with what is projected onto it from a projector, but, it also becomes part of the environment created with the projected image(s). It can easily be camoflaged with the space.

Photobucket

Using two things associated with television (static noise, and color bars) and horror film in my designs reflect my point of view as not only a designer, but as a photographer as well. I want to take the technological television + film concepts, and fuse them into high fashion. I feel that with my projection dress, there is a lot that can be said and left to one's own interpretation. Hopefully my ideas can push fashion into a more transformed interchangeable aesthetic giving people the ability to create new looks with the same piece. With the poor economy today, we might end up doing just that.

Dress and Photography by Mark Tauriello
Modeled by Tanya Salamanca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home